Friday, January 13, 2006

When in doubt, go Shopping!

Well, not doubt, just a wandering mind kind of mental inefficiency that goes along with a nagging back injury. I went to IKEA today, the big shiny new one in downtown Atlanta, a stones throw from Atlantic Station where my GoodMan is overseeing the construction of a new restaurant. I got there quite by accident - took a right instead of a left after dropping Colin off at the jobsite. The only thing I had in mind was a mini trash can for my desk at work. I came away with a whole huge bag of fun.Big enough to tote your average three year old in, they sell them for 99 cents. This silly business hangs up for drying one's unmentionables only I visualized pieces of hand dyed fabric flapping in the breeze. For 3.99, I can imagine anything I want. These are rubbery plastic ice cube trays but I could see them flipped over with paint on their cute little backsides all ready to pounce all over some fabric. And here's what IKEA is really famous for: stuff that you have to put together yourself. It took me about an hour to "build" this. Like most American households, the proper tools are never where you left them so I made this with the screwdriver on my grandmother's Boy Scout knife (it was in her sewing basket) and the wrong end of a staple hammer. I thought about glue but that would have been too much committment. Just the thing for all the miscellaneous crapola swarming all over my sewing table. Now to teach that drunken service monkey to put things away once I have finished with them. I'm sad that the second one came without it's bloody damn screws so I will have to visit the hardware store tomorrow to finish it off. I will have to mix up some sort of stain for these. Very theraputic.

6 comments:

Lisa Call said...

What fun! I love your octopus - who could pass that up??

I miss ikea - we don't have one in Denver - boo hoo for me.

Debra said...

I looked at those icecube trays, too. Thought with paint or soywax they might be fabulous.

Anxious to see what you do, then I'll commit!!

Deb R said...

I have never step foot in an IKEA and I feel thoroughly deprived. I wish one would open up near me so I could see what everyone is talking about! ('cuz I so NEED someplace else to spend money. ahem)

Cathy Kleeman said...

Looks like a trip to IKEA is in my future! I need those ice cube trays.

Elle said...

I LOVE IKEA. I have one of those huge blue bags too! I use it sometimes to tote my quilts for show & tell at my guild. I guess they got tired of folks making off with the yellow ones.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it soccer champs calgary moving companies nationwide domaines schlumberger Intellistopper popup blocker Quality management training international Boots and sweaters from norway http://www.footballclubuk.info/Golf-manufacturers-rep.html