Sunday, January 28, 2007

something hatching

These fabrics have been hanging on the wall for months now ( I had to give them a tumble in the dryer for the dust) . Now that the four new pieces are well and truly finished, I sat down with the scissors and started finding things of interest here. It gave my midwinter cranky heart a lift to be slashing away. Once cut up, more fun was had arranging all the parts. I spent most of the afternoon just moving things around like I was playing chess with an imaginary friend. It wasn't going well until I turned off the TV and put on some music. Then it became a dance. The gray ground is a piece of antique cotton damask from Narragansett, the blues are hand dyed and commercial discharged cottons, the orange one of my favorite commercial prints and the "eyes" are discharged and painted Kona cotton. I don't know how much stitching there will be here once the elements are nailed down but I'm leaning towards some hard contrasting colors with the thread. Early yesterday I also got an entry off to my first mixed media show, "Abstractions, Color & Texture" at the Aurora Colors Glass Art Gallery in CA. When I read the name of the upcoming exhibition I just had to enter as it perfectly describes what I have been up to for about a year now. I have to thank Michelle Verbeeck for expanding her online call for entry listings to include mixed media shows; it's the way I want to go rather than staying in the strictly quilt exhibit world. We'll see what happens. When I was filling out the entry form on the "media" line I simply put "textile" and then spent some time puzzling over the fact that they did not require detail shots. DOH! It's Not a Quilt Show! Oh happy day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so very welcome. I too like you am proceeding into the art world more so than the quilt world, I wish you the best in your journeys there also.

Thanks for the post. I too am thinking about that show also....hope i didnt miss the deadline, been busy. Have to check my list.

Anonymous said...

What kind of music? John Mayer? I like that too... and lots of jazz -- Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltraine, DAve Brubeck... and of course 80's rock -- Talking Heads, King Crimson, Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull. King Crimson and Talking Heads are my favorites for sparking creativity.