Thursday, March 06, 2008

a dark day

Nothing like dyeing with a mystery black to pick up a dark mood. But for starters, I worked on one of my PIFs last night to see just how happy my Janome was after a tune-up. I highly recommend it for anyone who is in the sewing doldrums. It feels like day one and now I remember just why I was so hot to go into debt over this machine three years ago. I had been dreaming of a design that required a great expanse of dark fabric. There was a bottle of black dyestock in the deck fridge but I fiddled with it by adding some of this and some of that. It looked very neutral on paper. So I threw caution to the wind and hung some fabric just to see what would happen. What happened was my crusty shower got visibly nasty - nice that it cleans up so well. Jim will wonder what came over me. The results were worth every minute of scrubbing. There are three feet draped over the back of this seven foot rack.

5 comments:

arlee said...

WOW OMG THAT IS InCREDible! Who KNEW mystery dye could be so STRIKING?!?!?!?!?

pcoxdesign said...

It is so beautiful! It looks almost like a closeup of a cascading waterfall! Can't wait to see how you use this.

Gisela Towner said...

Oh wow! That is absolutely gorgeous. It's so beautiful to see the whole piece, that I would have a hard time cutting into it...LOL!
Ok--I'm totally inspired. We're getting another foot of snow in the next 24 hours, so I will now consider myself snowed in and I'm getting out the dyes and paints!! :)

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous! I love doing stuff like that with my leftover dyes too}:)

mzjohansen said...

WoW ! This is fabulous ...love love love it