Tuesday, February 24, 2009

kindling

I got an email announcement yesterday that one of my favorite painters, Hollis Heichemer ,would be having a gallery show in NY. I was almost afraid to look at the newest work, sponge brain that I am - it both inspires and baffles me. My problem remains how to create this kind of immediacy and energy with a medium that, at best, is slow as dirt?? Last night at work I fiddled with the notion of motion and came up with this. I had to machine stitch it to keep the scale in order. I'd like to think that this is a tiny study for some much large things to come in the future. And another delightful email - Del Thomas letting me know that she was highlighting "Parking Magik" (2003) on her blog about her quilt collection. It was a treat to see it again as I have misplaced the original digital files. Thanks, Del!

5 comments:

Eva said...

Beautiful!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, Deb! This one is fabulous! I love the cat napping in the foreground of the first picture...
but seriously, the energy and motion of your composition is very compelling!

Anonymous said...

True motion, Deb, and your colours are unique, as always; painting isn't necessarely about oil on canvas, your work shows that all the time :)

jude said...

fabulous! you seem to have tapped into some energy lately.

Anonymous said...

I feel that of all your pieces, this is the best of them. The placement of the fabrics and color choices seem far more cohesive. The change from larger masses to narrower ones creates a great sense of movement. You have also moved things closer to the edge of the format but I feel the background could have more value change to add more depth to this piece.