Friday, July 03, 2009

"VERITAS"

...I saw that tattooed on a guy's forearm in the grocery store this morning. He caught me looking and I didn't hang around to see what was on the other arm. Has anyone actually read the entire Declaration of Independence lately? Ever? I confess, no, but this morning on NPR it was read aloud in what has become an annual tradition. I was captivated by the dense but precise language and after a long list of grievances, (there was a lot to kick about) it was the wrap up that really grabbed my attention back : "...And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor." Stunning. We have got to get back to that garden

3 comments:

jude said...

really.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I agree! Happy Independence Day!

Leslie said...

It is a marvelous document, thank you for reminding me, yet again, just HOW LUCKY I/WE are.

Merry Independence Day to you.