Saturday, July 17, 2010

demon alginate


"Oasis" 2006

I was telling Arlee about my failed attempt at using sodium alginate  with dyes in this printing experiment. I got the ratio of dye to goo wrong and the alginate seems to block the dye off from the fabric. What you see here is the result of hours of over painting with fabric paint and it still didn't look the way it did when it was freshly printed and wet.

I've since gone nuts and chopped it into the elements which are stiff with paint.
Poker anyone?


7 comments:

Bookhandler said...

Your humor lightens my day.
Thanks for sharing it so generously

Anonymous said...

But..but...but...Isn't that what the alginate is supposed to do???

Diane Cransac said...

They might not have turned out how you wanted them to...and I so understand the disappointment when you put so much time and effort into something and nothing seems to go right with it. I can see possibilities with the results though.

Deb Lacativa said...

thanks diane. I guess that's why I've kept them. They are on the work table now. expectant.

Deb Lacativa said...

I really didn't know what to expect from using alginate as a thickener. It was my first go with it and you have to remember that I am all about intense colors. Too many of those color molecules never ever got to come into contact with the cloth!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I share your frustration with alginate... probably why I use DT's Superclear if I want to thicken my dye... the colors stay much brighter! And you don't have to go thru the exasperation of mixing!

arlee said...

My first little experiment with it is definitely not as vibrant as i'd hoped, but i think using this technique could extend the colour range: by combining direct process and this it would add to the pallette!