Tuesday, May 10, 2011

from sublime to spectacular

Remember this score?  Combing through the acres of cloth I finally found a tag. Read it, carefully clipped it off and tossed it "somewhere safe" for future reference. Where that might be I have no clue at the moment.
All I can recall is "cotton" and the name of a company in NJ.

I cut this one up into rectangular pieces and spent yesterday morning using soy wax, dye powder, sugar and salt on ten or so pieces. I lost count.

Wish I knew more about thread count. The hand on this cloth is soft like sateen. The pattern you can see is part of  the weave, not embossed, embroidered or printed on. When wet it feels almost like chamois. And it took the wax and the dye so aggressively that I had to boil everything to really get it clean and ready to iron. When was the last time you looked forward to ironing anything?  
before






....and after.
Well worth the trouble and mess!

4 comments:

Peg said...

I have a few old cloths like this one, and I am going to make a shirt out of one, and hopefully incorporate some of another one into a jacket that will be like a wondering coat for beach combing, antiquing, and the like. I love what you do with your finds.

Anonymous said...

i bet your house looks like a gigantic playroom. i love all the fun stuff you get into on your deck.

who knew decks could be such a blast.

Jeannie said...

Oh wow! The fabric is gorgeous!!! We are slowly, slowly warming up. At this pace, I may be able to open up the outdoor dye salon in July. LOL! Have a fun and creative week!

arlee said...

YOU
are
on
FIRE