Monday, February 25, 2013

shifting the art around



I picked "Pirate Circus" (center) up from Phoenix & Dragon yesterday. It's been on display in their learning annex since the show last fall and it will be heading to another display opportunity in NY.




"Front Runner" will be taking its place shortly.

I had mixed feelings about both these pieces even while I was still working on them. Even though they are only a few years old, I feel very distanced from both of them. The banner series I had in mind didn't go forward because..well, I just fell out of love with the project. I had envisioned majestic battle flags fluttering  in the air - not these imposing but ponderous works.

As an artist, have you ever found yourself derailed by the limitations of your medium or technique?

5 comments:

Ms. said...

DO keep me posted as to the NY opening--I am in the heart of Manhattan when not escaping to Massachusetts. As for limitations of material, money craft and being in love with a project--of course--again and again. Still, I like these banners of yours, and my imagination will carry them aloft against a blue blue sky when I get the chance to see them.

Nancy said...

I understand about falling Out of love with a project. I have a few I'd love to sell as they no longer speak to me.
As for your display here...I would feel mighty lucky and proud to have Anything I made shown! I think you banner proclaims much :)

arlee said...

GAWDZ i WISh i could get there to see in person--such lush colour and textures, groan moan sigh

i derail all the time--as we all should :) sometimes wanting is better than having--whole series in my head will stay in my head, but i learned a few things from trying

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I have found myself derailed by my inability to accomplish what I saw in my mind, so I have a few ufo's sitting there waiting until I get a better idea for them...

Mary Ann said...

I think you're supposed to fall out of love and move on to something new. It's how you grow as an artist. You may not like these now but they look great to others of us. Good work!