Monday, March 18, 2013

pillaging the westside

 Booty is the only way to describe it!  JR and I braved the drunken hordes and hit the road yesterday and found three (or was it four?) new reuse/recycle locations in the Marietta/Buckhead neighborhoods of Atlanta.

All I can say is blessings on the  people who buy stuff, never use it and then give it away. And bless too,  the reformed hoarders who finally break down and give up the stuff they've been sitting on for forty or fifty years.

For a song and a smile I got yards of heavy, cream colored cotton sheeting loomed in "Persia" which dates this cloth from sometime before 1935. It came out of the washer and dryer soft and fresh and ready for the dye. There was a square yard of vintage, fine woven flour sacking, and this hooked rug pattern printed on burlap.

I've written to the company to see if they can date it for me and perhaps give some guidance about what materials and colors to use, should I decide to commit which I doubt I will..burlap really puts me off. For a dollar I couldn't leave it behind.

We couldn't help but cackle gleefully as we roamed the aisles. And bless JR who kept me from buying a pair of used men's golden Nike Hi-tops.

5 comments:

Kit Lang said...

Gosh, I'd want to MAKE the hooked rug!!

Great finds - and thanks for the image "braving the drunken hordes". It made me chortle - which I haven't done in quite some time. :D

I have been the recipient recently of a fabric hoarder's booty and now have an aammmmmmaaaazzzzzzinnnnggg stash of silks, brocades and sequins. Thanks be to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for hoarders!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

coloring the burlap flowers would be fun too...or doing embroidery....turn it into a chair cover....or...or...use it on a bulletin board as is..

Quilt or Dye said...

Praise be to the horders who destash so we can add to our piles. LOL

Unknown said...

Harry Fraser's rug hooking patterns have been around for ages....they were right in my neck of the woods when I was in CT, and became a hooker thanks to Maggie McLea...it was, fortunately, rather short lasted as I am a quilter at heart. However, there is a market for the rug patterns...you could try to sell it for a profit on eBay, Etsy, or....sew-its-for sale or some similar thing.

Deb Lacativa said...

I took a stab (too true) at hooking with some primitive home made tools because I was too poor/cheap to invest in the necessarys but I could never get over my aversion to handling burlap and wool.

I've actually decided to gift it to the squeaky wheel and I believe that she will actually get a rug out of the deal some day :)