Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers Day

I told the boys not to fuss about Mother's day but I'm glad they ignored me. There were gifts, flowers and a trip to get my fishing license so I can legally drown worms in the sunshine at Lake Lanier.

It's been  years since I've been there and at a mere 40 minute ride away, it will be a fine substitute for the beach.
The fishing is just an excuse.

The weather was beautiful today and I was gifted with a large bag of vintage towels and dinner napkins - dye lovers everyone one of them.  I was thinking about the lilacs I used to cut from the wild up in NY. My mother always loved them.


5 comments:

Jeannie said...

What a wonderful gift! My wild lilacs are blooming and they smell so much better than the hybrids. I am sending you a virtual bouquet! xo

Ms. said...

LILACS--yes yes I used to cut wild ones too. Seems they were everywhere in my girlhood. Now they're only in some cultivated gardens. Saw some last night in a church garden on the upper west side...lovely, but I couldn't cut them, and when I was studying at the Bronx botanical garden, lilac season was my drug of choice. Glad you the kids remembered you today. I had a fine day too.

Nancy said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I love the colors you've got going on here :)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Lilacs are a fave of mine, ever since I was a little girl and we had a bush outside the back door. I have them here, but it gets too cold for the blooms to develop most years... last year was the first time I actually got flowers! Sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day with your sons...

Anonymous said...

happy belated mother's day... my guys made funny cards for me. just enough. seeing Alvin Ailey tonight (waaaaaaaaaay over the top, but I'll take it!).

the lilac reference startled me - it is one of the floral scents that brings my mother to me.