Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day 2013

Bittersweet is the first Father's day without the man who loved you longest of all.

Jimmy and I  announced our engagement on  Christmas day in '76. I was 26 and Jimmy was only 20 and both of our families were mildly freaked out about it.

At some point during the day, my Dad asked me if I knew what the hell  I was doing.  I assured him that I did and he paused and then replied with a grin
"Jeez, I didn't think I'd ever get rid of you."  I laughed then and can laugh now. I did know - back into time and deep into the future.

My Men of Steel spent a fun day together while I dipped out for the day at a friend's house but got home in time to finally get a decent steak off the grill for us.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

I thought of you yesterday and how hard a day it must have been. My Dad said the same to me when I married at 34. :) I am now sitting and waiting. This will be Dad's last Father's Day and knowing that makes it even more precious. xoxo