Monday, July 15, 2013

taking drastic measures, gleefully

The weather will drive you crazy if you let it. The sun is blazing down one minute and the next thunder rolls and smart people get out of the pool. 

Yesterday I tackled a mountain of hand dyes that had been heaped on the ironing table and after everything was folded and sorted I found an excess of INSIPID so  I took  a bunch of the worst offenders out to the dyedeck, doused them with vibrance and forgot about it all until this morning when I hatched these out. 

I've also been thinking about how to go about deepening the background of the Firmament now that it's scattered with stars and other heavenly bodies. Paint? Not. What I may wind up doing is treating each of the embroidered stars with hot soy wax and the submerge the entire piece in a deeper blue/violet dye bath.

That drastic step got me thinking about taking a similar approach  with one or two of my oldest pieces back when I was doing whole cloth screaming; treating a finished piece as if it was only half way there.


Bold? Blasphemous?  Time will tell...





It's not that I don't love you baby.
Let's just say you got a lot of untapped potential...

"Clubbin'"
2007

5 comments:

arlee said...

you are brave!

Deb Lacativa said...

It's only cloth babe..it won't bleed when I carve into it.3

Jeannie said...

It's only cloth and the whole idea is to have fun and learn. :) (You could do a thickened dye and paint darkness where you want it.) From the land of too damn hot to do anything but sweat. :)

Deb Lacativa said...

Jeannie...thanks for another option. Crossing out fingers as our GA summer has been wetter than hotter so far.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Or apply the wax, then paint the darker color over... I do some mean "neon graffiti" pieces that way!