Monday, October 24, 2016

crossroads updated


 I wanted something special by way of a notebook to take to the conference in two weeks and foolishly bought one of those ponderous 5 star, 5 subject spiral bound things. Once it got here I found that weighs nearly as much as my laptop.

So I'm out getting the usual at the grocery store and picked up an ordinary, soft cover compostion book with an eye toward traveling light.

Later, I was sorting cloth and came across this in my Holy Relics basket. The overall brownish-ness of it made me think of a grocery store paper bag. Then I remebered how we used to dismembered those bags to cover our textbooks. I fiddled with it for a while, remembering how, then put one of the folds on the outside instead of hiding it on the inside, giving it pockets for what-not on the outside. No stitches required, just the press of time and use.

All my sacred, "can't cut into them" cloths are going to become book protectors, born again into Utility.

I anchored the flaps with tails. Just a frill.




4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Clever girl! I buy the composition books when they are on sale, then I make covers using scraps of fabric in a "wonky log cabin" throw-together. One pocket on the inside with whatever fabric for the lining. Love how they come out, and they sell pretty good at holiday time. But I love your 'paper bag' solution... would be cute to draw graffiti on one like we used to do on our paper bag covers, huh?

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

sacred cloth will hold your words.
could not be better than this

handstories said...

Brilliant & beautiful! I remember wrapping bags around books in college...

Nancy said...

Ohhhhh I love this! The cloth is gorgeous and I remember the paper bag covers too.