Monday, August 08, 2022

Roadkill

 Pulled this one out of the trunk of my car. It was in the FREE ART bag, destined to be left behind on a park bench some sunny day. 

I was so caught up and in love with some of the elements that I overlooked how hideous the background is until I stepped back and took a hard look.

I spent some time changing the orientation by 90 degrees. That required the sleeve to be removed and relocated. The original stitching on that sleeve looked like I sent it out for the nuns to work on. Took an hour just to cut and pick all the stitches. 

Now I have to decide what I'm going to do about the background. The fabrics are very "touchy", that is, a cotton/rayon blend designed to soak up spills. Anything liquid applied is going to travel uncontrollably. 

I can't use soy wax to mask and protect the central elements (that pink also needs help) because of the silk satin and more of that thirsty cotton/rayon.

It might come down to surgery and if the patient survives, a new name. Ideas are welcome. It's on a back burner for now.






4 comments:

Liz A said...

have you ever played with Inktense pencils? they might give you the depth of color you want along with control over where the color goes ...

Joanne S said...

I once removed background fabric from a piece. I cut right into it and left the backing and thin batting. Just clipped stitches while watching mindless tv. and then I stitched new pieces of cloth in and appliquéd the edges- by hand of course. It's how I roll. And the finished product was really fine........ and now that technique is part of how I make things..........

jude said...

what liz said

Hazel said...

Appreciate hearing the thoughts and process, there are stacks of pieces here that could use some surgery. And huge congratulations on your last post!