Thursday, September 22, 2022

Summer's shadow





We don't get too many sunrises around here, but Colin did a double shift and grabbed this one. The beautiful weather persisted and belied the sailor's warning. 



The mailbox garden is set up to bless our senses with gardenias and butterfly bush blooms until we have some hard frost.
Christmas gardenias will always be magical for this Yankee gal.



Everyone who ordered bundles should be getting them by Friday. While I was making them up, I pulled some drama to keep in the River basket until I'm moved to thread a needle. I've made a mess of fancy damask in the past so I'm going to let them ripen in the closet. 

It's the Autumnal Equinox. I savor it one day at a time because I grew up in the Hudson Vallery with a short, capricious fall.  My birthday is smack in the middle of October. On some birthdays, I could still go swimming in the lake. Other years, frost crackled underfoot making sneakers treacherous.


Summer looks back on herself and smiles at the miracles she's wrought. Bright wings. Water in the air. Bounty.
Fall puts his arm around her, pulls her close, and whispers,
"Hang with me a while. You won't regret it."

1 comment:

Liz A said...

autumn is a time to fall in love ... gentle sun ... the air crisp and clear ... leaves rustling