Sunday, June 11, 2006

New from the Lawrenceville Frankenstein Dyeworx

Some of you might wonder about that title. What it refers to is my penchant for making things up as I go. Since I don't plan on offering any of my hand-dyes for sale on a regular basis (call me, I can be had) consistency is not something I pine for. To lift a line from one of my most favorite films..."It's a Mystery." And not knowing is half the fun. Since most of this stuff is destined to be backsides I'm not all that concerned with repeatable results so it was a handful of this, a dash of that, stir, spill and slosh. Of course, Murphy's law and the Full Moon in play, this batch will turn out spectacular, begging to be front and center in something and not hidden away. A Confession. I broke that rule about not buying any new stuff. I've pieced one back together for the Green Monster and am not entirely happy with it but I am happy that I am at that stage, making backs, which means these tops are not going to languish with the other UFOs awaiting completion. I just didn't have enough large expanses of anything to make nice backs for the current series so I broke down and bought five yards of 90" Roclon muslin with a discount (thanks, Ryan) from HoAnns. I haven't been thrilled with it in the past but the price was right and I scoured it to death first. Now to leave the stuff alone long enough. It's pool cleaning time - my gills are drying out.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

I'm with you as far as dying stuff is concered. I approach it as play & experimentation. I took a class from Ann Johston recently. She was very scientific about the whole thing. I asked her to forgive me but I was in it for the fun & fabric, not the science. I really don't care if I don't get a perfect color wheel.