Sunday, August 16, 2015

finding footing

Robbie, me and Kitty
This was the first time I've been back to New York when it was not the dead of winter that I can remember. The weather was spectacular with just one day of all day rain just to prove it was real.

My nephews are having the kind of childhood that I remember - spending most of their time outdoors, in or around the lake and woods. The community I grew up in is little changed, still idyllic.

Patty and me at Misquamicutt Beach. RI


Poor Patty was in the middle of some viral misery, but a perfect day at the beach went a long way towards making her feel better. We found a brand new favorite beach about two hours from her house.

The visit home was complete with a visitation from my parents' spirits, still at war. Unsettling, but not all that surprising.
There was no reading, writing or stitching while I was there. It was all about observing, appreciating and remembering. Lots of remembering.


2 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

opening, clearing space
letting memory breathe

you ARE a mermaid...

Vicky aka Stichr said...

oh Deb, it's so wonderful to hear that some children are having the kind of childhood we had!! I loved the neighborhood I grew up in, and the camping trips...well you know! You and your sister...2 peas in the pod. Were your lips all salty from the beach?