Wednesday, May 24, 2017

fraught




The day started well enough. Coffee with an insistent kitty. Stop petting her and suffer the hooks.
The view of the pool that soothes and encourages me even if it's too cold to get in and clean yet and there is a tree looming over it threatening destruction that I have to have professionally removed as soon as possible, but I can't afford to sell a kidney.




And an hour of stitching on these dancing devils that I have been fooling with since forever. Someday I'll call this one done. Not today.
I went to the park to walk and stretch my miserable aching hips. Saw monsters from the deep in the turtle pond. That's another story.

Then just after I got home, things took a bad turn for some too close by neighbors. An eviction, heartbreaking enough, turned violent when shots were fired.

Before you know it, SWAT had the neighborhood locked down and all I could do was watch from the studio window. Although the house is two down and one over, I hardly know the people. No children, thank goodness. Snipers in camouflage were posted up and down the block and if you poked your head out the door you were warned back inside. Bull horn pleas to surrender went unheeded. Armed robots rolled up and down the block. Concussion grenades went off repeatedly. I watched and waited here alone. with cats. He surrendered a few minutes ago.

 No one was harmed.
my front yard

8 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

what world is this, we find ourselves living in....
when people are so at a loss that they would kill
the yellow ducks floated silently

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Frightening, and sad. Glad it ended with no harm, although there surely was harm to the psyche of all who were near...

Deb Lacativa said...

I was not frightened, only mildly distressed. If Charlie had been here, I would have been sure we were safe, but as the neighborhood was locked down, I'm sure his parents would have been berserk. That I feel at a remove. My eldest son could not get home and I felt his distress through the phone.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

these are useful words to me this morning..."i feel at a remove"

Joanne S said...

Do-did--you think it was all necessary? I often wonder, now the that the police have Homeland equipment-whether they find excuses to "play" with it. My father was a policeman in inner city Cleveland during the riots in the 1960's. He never drew his weapon. There was always another way to work on the problems. But now-everyone has a gun it seems and anxious to use it.

Mo Crow said...

(((Deb))) your embroidery is fabulously beautiful but & am so saddened bt this OTT response to a domestic situation in the country of my birth, your photographs could be a scene from Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" which is getting to be way too close for comfort to the reality of the state of our beautiful broken world today...

Deb Lacativa said...

mo crow and joanne. what I know about the incident was the when the sheriff arrived to enact the eviction midday, there were four shots fired from inside the house and no one would respond. We have too many citizens with guns and too many opportunities for them to use them in desperate situations. I fully expected that this man, facing the loss of his home, might have killed himself and his wife. The fact that it turned out with zero injuries was the best possible outcome. Was all that personnel and ordnance necessary? I don't know.

Mo Crow said...

this 21st C world is getting very strange... and yet there is hope with so much beauty and love and kindness... tenderly, gently as my old teacher Neil Roberts (RIP) once wrote in neon