Thursday, May 18, 2017

the habit

It's very easy to let this habit of reporting slip away when nothing creatively shareable is going on. Writing is like that. Raw first drafts are hard enough to share with other writers in small groups. You are lucky if you can find crit partners who will be both straight with you and instructive. I've recently been that lucky and have been giving most of my free time over to the first draft, which is morphing into its first major revision.
my peonies have bloomed and gone!

Stitchers, imagine, if you will, a piece you've labored on, mostly in secret (shades of Quilt National!) - an epic piece, say 8 feet by 22 feet - that's right, I said FEET, not inches.  And so the powers that be have let you know that No Way will it ever see the light of day in that form and you have to make a triptych out of it. Somehow hacking it into hangable pieces.

At first, the rebel in me said, "Fuck you and your pony!" but after looking at this steaming pile of  222+k of words for a while, I think I've found a way to serve both the muse and the commercial masters, namely, publishers. Only time and whole lot more writing and rewriting will tell.

In the meantime - Life!  All these wonderful things and more.
Charlie and I steal his Dad's car and go the park and Publix for lunch!


I don't know what I would do without him, the Pollywog Savior of L'ville.

Partners in crime.

6 comments:

Ms. said...

Huge task you are well suited for no matter how long it takes...and the rest of life--glorious and OH that blessed "Charlie" :-->

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow... sounds like you have quite a challenge there, and it sounds painful. But it's all part of the process, right? Would love to see you be able to publish! Keep at it...

Unknown said...

Oh, Charlie’s a heart-stealer. I must confess that, with my first quick look, I thought the picture of your son was an old photo of your Jimmy.

Deb Lacativa said...

Stephanie Jo, I hear all the time about how Colin looks like Jim, but I swear, I look right at him and I don't see it. It's crazy.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

if only i could grow a peony

Deb Lacativa said...

Grace, you will!