Friday, May 29, 2015

eyes wide open

No time for much else. These and another couple dozen will be dyed this weekend. Each one 13 yds of six-strand DMC floss.

Colors?  I won't know until the sun rises on Saturday. I also plan on working some larger pieces of linen and damask in the creeping darkness technique that I was experimenting with two weekends ago.

I spend most of what little free time I have writing, but I had a big bucket of emotional cold water tossed over my head last weekend.

There had been plans to give up both the studio, office and upstairs bath to a renter. I really thought I could do this, but when the preliminary meet with a person who would be anyone's ideal tenant was over, I sat in the studio at my sewing machine for a few minutes looking around, trying to decide what could be stored where and what would be parted with. Then I broke down in tears with emotions that reached far, wide and deep.

It took me a while to realize that I just couldn't take another square inch of loss in my life. So, I cannot afford to let this space, these materials, and most importantly, this practice languish and be wasted.  I have to try harder.
It's not like riding a bike at all.

and of course, there are life's delights.




4 comments:

jude said...

aw i love this....

Liz A said...

Nothing better than this ... wishing you more laughter, fewer tears

Nancy said...

Oh - this is just the best!!! Sometimes one needs to cry, clears the head a bit. And of course, the laughter with this special boy can fill a heavy heart, making it so much lighter. Take care Deb.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

So glad you were able to decide not to give up your studio space. It's part of who you are, your soul space. Just because you aren't doing much right now doesn't mean you won't be back in there before you know it.
The clip of you and Charlie is priceless! Me thinks that little boy is doing a great job to help his Grandma heal...