Thursday, August 06, 2009

the red Moon brings revelations

Sometimes vacations allow time for contemplation. This time out, there was little time but lots of good feedback from new sources on all manner of subjects. Did I mention that I don't get out much? For now, I will be concentrating on surface design. There's just too much blank raw materials in the world. The art will come back when it's good and ready. This is a scrap of silk about a foot long that's been worked with inks and alcohol. Kara and I found a 100% silk skirt at a thrift shop in Chappaqua. Off white, mid calf length and deeply pleated - I calculate close to three yards of exquisite fabric. Several embroidered antique pillow cases, sheets and some gauze-like woven silk dresser scarves bought for a song and a smile are coming parcel post. Also concluded - I have to take charge of my health before another moment passes. I canceled a trip to MOMA because I knew that by noon I would be needing an ambulance to get home. or a hearse. To friends and family who voiced concern over this last remark. Sorry to alarm you all.It's nothing new or exciting but it is the first (and last) time that my weight + my age has gotten in the way of my will. Can't have this crap happen again!

6 comments:

jude said...

this is so vibrant....
are you ok?

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Now I'm concerned. Please let me know how you are. Oh, the piece is fabulous! Love the colors.
Rosemary

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the colors! And congrats on your decision to live. We do have to take a little time and effort as we reach those golden years! Think of it as an investment... the payoff is more time with our loved ones, and more time to play with our stuff (aka fabric, dyes...you know!).
Hugs,
Judy

mzjohansen said...

Deb:
We all experience one of these moments. Never pleasant, but neither fatal! Hang in there - this too will, indeed, pass.
M

Jackie said...

Sitting at a sewing machine or with a needle is the best aerobic activity for health but its such fun. My years of doing same have caught up with me too.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Hey, Deb. I've been playing with my sharpies & alcohol... tres cool! I didn't have too many sharpies to work with, so I went to our local drug store and ended up getting a set of big permanent markers... 12 colors. Wow! They even start bleeding before I apply the alcohol! BTW, how do you apply the alcohol... brush? Mist? I've been brushing it on so far, just lightly and that works. But I'm wondering what would happen if I used a spray mister... will have to try that! Do you do anything to 'set' the design after it dries, or will it stay stable as is?
Too much fun! Thanks for posting about it... just one more thing to play with!
Later...
Judy
P.S. Have you changed your e-mail address? I sent this to you and it came back undeliverable...