Monday, April 19, 2010

sack cloth magic


I'm please and proud to find that Jude will be building a magic cloth starting with  a piece of vintage cotton sacking that I dyed last summer.

This piece was part of this batch of cloth,  gifted me by my friend Rosemary just about a year ago. I left this image large so you can zoom in an see the various textures.

Some of the pieces in this batch had a stencil reading   "Made For A.D.Pierce, Brooklyn, Conn." A little research told me that this company was a hatchery of some sort last mentioned or annotated in the 1930s.

I love a cloth with history, no matter how prosaic.
There will be just a few more pieces of this cloth posted to the Random Acts of Dyeness page. Hoarding most of it for myself.

2 comments:

jude said...

it was such a perfect addition to my magic cloth. it has history and mystery and an earthy feel.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

It's interesting to hear the results of your research on this fabric. It could have been destined to be a feed sack. Your dye work on it enhanced the texture. Glad you could use it! The fabric I sent you was discovered in the attic of an elderly woman who died last year. She did a great deal of sewing, and saved everything. She may have had this fabric for many years.