Thursday, October 26, 2023

Passions

 

A gift from a dear friend. I carried it swaddled in newsprint in my purse on the flight home, much to the stink-eye of the TSA in White Plains. 

Mugs have gotten too gross of late. Drinking a mug of coffee could lead to heart palpitations. This little one might hold three or four ounces. The perfect size for sipping whiskey. I'll have to get some, being a writer and all.

T. and I go back to when we were both stay-at-home moms in Carmel, NY with four little boys between us. Remember the expression "dooryard neighbors"? Our lives spilled out into the common driveway and yard. There were always loving eyes on those kids from one window or another.
.
    I can't remember how or when we revealed that we both had a nearly secret passion for writing, likely over tea or wine depending on the time of day. She was the first to read and support the earliest stages of my novel. She still has a novel on the back burner, but in the past few years has discovered a passion for clay. 
        It was something special to sit across from her in the diner and watch her talk about her art and the joy it brings her every time she returns to it. I will keep this where I can see it with my favorite writing tools in it, I think, instead of whiskey.

2 comments:

Liz A said...

I have a similar sized mug, gifted by my younger daughter ... it holds my bent-arm safety pins on the window sill next to my stitching chair ...

and your post brought to mind our backyard neighbors ... the gated fence that separated the two yards ... and the kitchen sink windows where our moms kept an eye on us ... Mrs Wynn was a nurse, which came in handy when we headed out into the world on bicycles and roller skates

Yvette said...

Love the mug and your memories must have been a joy to talk about!