Monday, May 01, 2006

Picnic in Hell

Picnic In Hell about 50"x70". Well, what if it is commercial? These days selling my work is my prime objective and I hope this will keep me from putting a DONATE button on this site. I made a cool one yesterday that read [Send Me To Art Camp] but then I decided to hold off. When I was attending school in NYC I was fascinated with the social politics of begging and would spend hours sitting and talking with panhandlers trying to figure out how one replaces pride with determination and take up street begging the way others take up carpentry or quiltmaking. Piecing this top took nine loooong innings on Saturday afternoon (Braves 8, Mets 5) and I loved every minute of it. It will keep someone warm and cozy before too long. I have made a vow to honor my frugal nature and NOT buy any new materials in the coming year. It will probably take me at least that long to use up what I have collected in my studio. These are hand dyes and some commercial overdyes and batiks, all cotton. I plan on using up the nine miles of Warm & Natural I bought at MaryJo's last year. I may wind up having to piece the backs of these bigger things but that will be in the spirit of things too.

No comments: