Sunday, October 30, 2011

surf dyeing (with jellyfish)



This turned out to be much more of a symbolic gesture rather than the dye fest I had planned. Although the sun was strong so, was the wind and temperatures were probably not optimal for good results. The water was warm enough for me to go swimming but the jellyfish wandering about (they seemed to follow me) put that notion on hold. Once I brought the cloth back up to the beach I spread it out, sprinkled it with a little soda ash and added a little dye concentrate already in solution (dye powder would have been impossible in the wind). To my horror - and where was my brain?- much of it went straight into the sugar white sand below. I quickly rolled up the cloth, sand, dye and all and stuffed it into a baggie. Then another baggie just for more stained sand. Didn't want to be lynched by the locals. Still, with more planning and warmer conditions, I want to give this another chance. Results? Tomorrow after I unpack.

3 comments:

Minka said...

What were you trying to do? A sun print in the water?

Anonymous said...

ah sand between the toes...
and in the fabric!

you and your cloth have a wonderful to dye for getaway.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

it was all about love anyway,