Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July

My deck garden is starting to make food. These are grape tomatoes which will probably be good for a salad a day for two weeks. The other shot is a green pepper, bell, I think, and a jalapeƱo which freeze well but may wind up in homemade salsa. I've been thinking about what it takes to "put food up" as my grandmother used to. I used to get to pour the hot wax over the top of the jam and relishes she made. She also put things in Mason jars and boiled them...stewed tomatoes, yucky. Liberty next year would be plowing under my whole front lawn and growing food instead of grass. And now that I think about it, I want a pair of mules and some goats and chickens. Folks are coming by today to grill and eat and swim. It will be nice to have a little company. Tonight I will watch the fireworks from my bed and listen to mariachi music. I can look out across the woods to the next street where, each year, they compete to burn down their houses with illegal fireworks displays.

1 comment:

susan said...

i know what you mean...we still have round metallic glitter(huge) from last year. took us days to figure out what it was and where it came from. our garden is growing slowly but steadily. the blueberries are getting bigger and the raspberries look they will be ready in august. the apple tree is bending under the weight of all the apples this year, which i plan on dehydrating most of. we are spending a quiet fourth around here.