Wednesday, April 22, 2009

archaeology and treasures

Wonderful things come to light when you start digging. I need to get new containers as all these charming little baskets are too small by half for each colorway and you cannot put 14 pounds of cat in a ten pound basket for long. The red pieced thing is "Picnic In Hell" a top that has been missing for more than a year. All this industry was provoked by the arrival of a large box of vintage fabrics passed on to me by my friend Rosemary Claus-Gray. An incredible trove of fabric that may prove to be from the turn of the century. I found a barely visible stamp on one piece that said "Made For A.D.Pierce, Brooklyn, Conn." A little research tells me that this company was a hatchery of some sort. Wonder what they used all this cloth for. Chicken blankets? I also came across this piece of embroidery that used to grace the whole back of a denim coat that I wore until it was pitiable. Then it was on a couch pillow for years. next?

4 comments:

arlee said...

fabulous dragon (?)!!!!!!

Joyce said...

I'm thinking hatchery might indicate a feedsack fabric. That could be a real treasure.

jude said...

good lord, it's like the earth opened up. i feel some vibration coming from your direction.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hey, Deb, I'm glad you are enjoying the fabric. Kool stuff! Rosemary