Thursday, December 14, 2023

l'audace



Liz very kindly intuited that this piece was needed at home and I'm very grateful. It's hard to put a finger on all that has changed since I made this one. Much and little.

The part that interests me is that I never loved this piece until it was gone. My mantra during most of the construction was, "Now what the fuck?" Large pieces will get out of hand in a heartbeat if you let technique have its head. Constant control over the design is exhausting when all you want to do is fall into exuberant color beats, make warp and weft go organic, and cover the thing with stitches. 

I have a very large starting point and cast of character rolled up in the closet. Large enough that I'm considering building it with the machine rather than by hand. Either way, I'll be clearing off the design wall soon. Get it underway. 
I can't swear at something until it gets real.




 I wonder if anyone noticed that I cannibalized the unresolved "Firmament" for this one. I lost my way with that one. Summer of 2013. 

                                                                                               


I had all good intentions of getting outside for a few steps, but when this old throw (fresh from the washer & dryer) came out from under Bailey, I noticed it was coming apart around the edges. And Lo! I happen to have a cone of thread that was very close. 

l'audace? I was listening to a foreign movie last night when I fell asleep. It's been a long time since I dreamed in French. Tonight, I'll find an Italian film. 

There was a haircut. Really. Chunks all over the carpet. 
I just didn't go far enough, YouTube videos only show DIY haircuts by young things with stick-straight hair. I had to improvise. 

2 comments:

Nancy said...

As we say around here...I love your big fat hair!! Someone I know would love to have that hair! I treated myself to a haircut with my friend, instead of the Pandemic idea of cutting off my own pony tails! haha
Can't wait to see that wall when you get going!

Liz A said...

Firmament pre-dates my presence here by about a year ... and even though I began at the beginning of your blog, reading day by day from 2005, I only made it to 2009 or 10 ... in any case, I'm glad that absence made your heart grow fonder and that Blue Wave got to soak up the Texas sun for a time before returning to Georgia to do the hard work that needs to be done next year ... xxoo