Saturday, February 20, 2010

mummy making

"As Yet Unbaptized" mounted on a 20"x20" canvas and sealed with diluted, matte acrylic medium.  I wanted to be sure that the bright whites kept their dazzle so I treated them first with a light coat of acrylic straight from the jar and allowed time for those areas to dry before I went ahead and worked the rest of the piece.  I really like the way the value contrast is improved with this method.
I deliberately chose to mount this one on a canvas with almost no border and will have to proceed slowly. The areas of running stitch are going to lose a lot of texture as the medium flattens out all the ridges and bumps, or not, as I go along. From experience, several of these fabrics will darken considerably, again a good thing if I control which ones and how dark.

6 comments:

Karin said...

That looks sooooo good. Can´t wait to try that mummifying technique myself. Thanks for sharing your experience.
By the middle of next week I will start looking for the mailman ;-)

Deborah said...

I like the way it looks without a border.

jude said...

i like the colors in this one.

Catherine V. Bainbridge said...

I agree with Jude, the colors are lovely... different! Love the orange. What a lovely piece.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

oooo....looooking goood!!!

Wen said...

Wow these are beautiful- I love the texture...