Saturday, November 05, 2022

Carving out time



I knew it would happen. I fell victim to @brediculousyarns from Instagram. This is "Interstellar". Her colorways are a lot like mine.

"Fiber: 75% Superwash Merino / 25% Nylon
Knitting Gauge: 7-8 sts = 1" on #1-3 Knitting Needles
Hook Size: B1 - E4"

All of that is greek to me. I think a sheep was involved early on. Everyone knits fabulous socks and sweaters. I will settle for crocheting a pair of mittens but I have a sneaking suspicion this ball will only yield one.

It was warm and muggy so I took a book out on the deck. Instead of reading, I spent time weeding all the deck pots and hilling up some fresh dirt around the old Mother Thyme and Lavender.  Wrapped a few stems together for spellwork, maybe. Chasing mosquitos is more likely.

Little unknown seedlings have sprouted in all of the pots. No clue what they might be so I left them. If they make it through the winter, more power. If not, more compost. 

I ordered a bunch of perennial seeds from Baker Heirloom today. Now to find a half-ton of chicken shit and a few pounds of clover seeds. 





The book is very good, but it's making me nervous about the two trees that we left standing. 
I'm not even certain of their species and I'm doing weird shit to the soil over their roots, planting flowers where nothing grew but briars and ivy. 

The arrogance.


3 comments:

Nancy said...

Did your bundle really help with the mosquitos? I sure wish there was a simple, non-toxic fix for those little beasts!

Liz A said...

The Overstory was an intense read ... I have it in mind to read again, but I recall there were parts so dark I had to skip over them ... and don't feel up to that roller coaster ride right now ...

Deb Lacativa said...

Liz - it is intense. A chapter at time with some space in between. I'm told that somewhere at the halfway mark, all the stories begin to braid together.

Nancy, I don't know. I'll have to wait for it to dry before I can burn it. I'll let you know.