Thursday, May 31, 2007

Craft in America

After coming home from work at 3:30 and going straight to bed until 6 pm, I spent the evening doing handwork and generally attempting to restore my sanity. The PBS special "Craft in America" came on and I got sucked completely in watching every minute of the three hour-long segments. It was completely engrossing but I was a little disappointed in that mention was never made of how artists and craftspeople everywhere have to struggle and compromise to support themselves. "I just decided to quit my job an do it", oft repeated, seemed disingenuous to me, almost irresponsible. I will continue to think about how the show made me feel and perhaps watch it again. What did you think of it? There will be a full moon tonight, the second one in May, and tonight there will be ritual! The Full Moon in Sagittarius is an invitation to bask in the light of some good old-fashioned Jupiterian optimism and joy! This Full Moon represents the union of the physical and the spiritual in the search for knowledge

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I too stayed up way to late watching all 3 episodes! For the most part I really enjoyed it but I think I would have preferred profiles of more artists and other crafts. I agree with your comment about supporting themselves. I think they only profiled artists that do art full time. I don't think that's the norm! It's a nice series and I'll watch it again.But, honestly, I alway prefer focus on the art rather than the artist and this series was about the artists.

Terry Grant said...

I have seen only one of the three parts - "Landscape". The other two are recorded to be viewed today sometime. I loved what I saw. That silver tiara with the leaves and plants made me want to cry it was so gorgeous. But I, too, kept wondering what these people live on and how that guy afforded such a beautiful house and land.

Melissa said...

I would have loved to be a residebt artist, but daily life realities and responsibilities get in the way. I too enjoyed the series, and thinking back, the blacksmith and furniture desingers are the only ones I recollect as "working" their art as their salary. I too would have liked to see how many are able to support themselves and families. I guess like anything else, full attention to their craft is paying the bills with exposure and sales.

The couple in the third show, where the husband had a stroke, to me showed the most "struggle" and how they worked through it--and still being able to pay the bills. He reminded me a lot of my dad after one of his strokes. He had limited use, but learned how to rework his craft around the new limitations.

Rhonda said...

I was unable to see the series because of a power outage. The electricity was off for a very long time. After several hot flashes and calls to my electricity company, I was in business again. Maybe the series will come on again in my neck of the woods.

Karoda said...

I enjoyed the connection between profiling the artist in connection with the art and the artists appeared approachable people and found them and the art comforting and inspiring...but yeah, there is always that element of "how" do that really make it happen and how does it effect their families.