Saturday, January 14, 2012

basking

"Now" by Clara Fialho"
Clara Fialho is a New York artist who makes magic on a grand scale, this one is 48"x60".
Nothing like starting a studio day with a little sunshine. thanks Clara!

I want to finish off those postcards  on the machine, but first, I have to find it under an avalanche of crapola but I'm not going to let housekeeping deter a little creative time. The other day a friend of ours who organizes estate sales gifted me with a large bag of really fine table linens, mosly vintage damask napkins. "Smallish" I sighed as I started going through them but after the wash and dry it occurred to me that lots of small things seamed together could create a grand grid, a starting place for whatever comes next.

I've been spending an hour or more each morning writing and it feels as if  I have been working my way down inside a nautilus shell, almost claustrophobic with the isolation of the activity. Writers  really can't just hang a work in progress on the design wall for all to have a look at; editing and rewriting are essential steps. It looks like you have to be a little bit crazy to be a writer and if you're not when you start, you probably will be once you get into it. Today I will get out of my own head for a while.


3 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful image by Clara. I will have to check her work out. You are so right, writers don't have much use for a design wall!! I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing. It's a very good read.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

so..i have been "absent" for about
a week or so and here i can see
the glorious flow of posts all in
one evening...i LIKE that...though
all week i felt so uhhh, what..?
so, uhhh...well...like a stray.
what an odd word. but somehow
it's a good one. i felt like a
stray.
but tonight, it's good to be back.

Anonymous said...

i am writing more too and noticing how it is different from cloth and photography and blog... good luck working your way in!!