Monday, April 22, 2013

Book Review!


If you are a regular reader here chances are you have more than a dim notion about how to go about making an art quilt but how many times have you been asked by the uninitiated to explain what an art quilt is and how you actually make one?  Now you can point them to a valuable resource.

Some of us know that grabbing fistfuls of cloth, clenching scissors in your teeth and running howling into the woods at night will not get the job done. Like any endeavor worth pursuing, it's good to have a guidebook written by a master.

I'm please to have been asked to review such a book. “Inspired to Design – Seven Steps to Successful Art Quilts”, by Elizabeth Barton, is a comprehensive overview of the process of making a successful art quilt written in a user friendly voice with clear emphasis on good design.
Petergate (36.5"w, 53"h) 

The first time I saw an art quilt was at a solo show of Elizabeth Bartons work hanging in the gallery at the Hudgen's Art Center. I had been making crazed bed quilts and I was stunned by the idea of textile art being afforded all the respect due any painting or sculpture in a contemporary art gallery. I was hooked hard then and have been fumbling my hopeful way every since.

This book is a distillation of her years of experience and success as an internationally recognized artist and teacher. Liberally illustrated with selections from her amazing body of award winning work, “Inspired to Design...” will do just that  and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a light on the path

You can buy an autographed copy direct from Elizabeth for $35 (which includes priority mail delivery inside the USA)  by emailing her directly.  
You'll thank me later!

A Summer Day, Long Ago (46"w, 28"h) by Elizabeth Barton

5 comments:

Kit Lang said...

thanks for the review!

Elizabeth Barton said...

I'm thanking you already, Deb!! much appreciated. Elizabeth

Quilt or Dye said...

I am in complete agreement with you! I have also gotten a review copy and I am very pleased with the way she has laid out the information! Lots of good tips and ideas even for those who have been making art quilts for a while.

Jeannie said...

I am so looking forward to this book! I am a huge fan of Elizabeth's work and cannot wait to getting a copy the book in my hot little hands.

Bookhandler said...

I took an online course from her and was so impressed by how thorough her lessons were about design. Saw some of her work in person when the pieces were here in San Diego and was so impressed. Thanks for letting me know her book is out.