Monday, April 01, 2013

a short digression


I finally got all those wormy, deeply carved machine stitches picked and washed out of this piece .

Its' been blocked on the design wall because the thick cotton felt batting that I used has felted and allowed the base cloth, a very old piece of damask, to pucker and wander in places.

I'm still at a loss over its lack of sense. It looks like a chunk of 1920s wallpaper.

Thanks to the magic of digital manipulation, I'm sorely tempted to take the big knife to it and get several small things that work all on their own, like this:


2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I don't know, Deb. I think it is a fabulous base. Perhaps some freaky birds or fish from the depths of the sea. For some reason it appeals to me and I am not a 1920's wallpaper kind of gal. :) I keep thinking Art Nouveau meets Little Shop of Horrors or something quirky like that. The small cut away is wonderful by the way. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

arlee said...

before i read the words, i thought wallpaper too---i'm with you *and* with Jeannie's comments--there are a LOT of possibilities here, a great ground piece.