Tuesday, May 14, 2013

can't stay away from the dyedeck



Just a little fast fun while waiting for string to dry.

Tod reminded me that I wanted to try dyeing my own embroidery floss. I also have a large cone of mystery string about the weight of Perle cotton - it might be Tencel; and a small ball of sugar and cream cotton...they all got the treatment but   are strung out all over the deck drying. Nothing much to look at right now but next time I'll think through just how to do it without NOT getting a bunch nasty wet knot in stuff.



Interesting how inspiration blooms just when you make a committment that takes you away from the studio. Is that creative procrastination?

The threads were pretty yucky..

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I remember Melly dyed some cotton embroidery floss one time during a play date, and she gently tied sections with short lengths of floss and used a dye that required heating, but I would imagine using Procion MX would work as well. I think I bought some from her when she was having a trunk sale... beautiful, variegated colors! I keep meaning to try dyeing some, but never seem to find the time...

Deb Lacativa said...

I would have been smart to use some nice colors but I got MUD ..the DMC keeps its shine nicely though.

Wendy said...

I learned the hard way to use polyester thread to tie the hanks of thread ready for dyeing :) There is always the option to over dye, we all need dark thread sometimes