Thursday, July 30, 2020

Harvest time

It's been a while since I was excited by first peeks at a thread batch. Over the past months, I've caught myself thinking "Overdye for this bunch" or "just because I don't love you...."  and hoping for the best.

This time, I'm thinking about dumping out my own stash so I can start fresh with 20 or 30 from this lot. But I won't. I have too much else to do now and soon, those responsibilities will double. 

Now comes the hard part. Cleanup and processing. When I call these Hand Dyed Threads I'm not kidding.  There is no part of this that can be automated. Each skein goes through about a dozen steps between the first measure&wind, to the final wind off. 

Then, since I'm selling most of these, there's photograpy, posting, and processing orders. Now, the added terrors of the post office. I'm still sad about the fact that International Shipping is so out of reach. 

I've washed and rinsed two groups, laid out on the deck rails here in hopes of some sun, but it's looking pretty shitty out.  

I've been thinking about writing a DIY book - "Doing the Dirty Thread Boogie". I can teach you the steps, but I cannot teach color sense which is the magic at the heart of this process. Something I can't even explain to myself.

What do you think? 


5 comments:

u-woman said...

"What do you think?"

I want all of them, alas, Vienna, Austria. ;) (That's what I always think when you dye fabric/threads.)

P.S.: Yes please, write that book (but make it an e-book, please).

Angie said...

I would LOVE to know how dye threads! I'm on board for you writing this up. :) Also will be buying more thread from you soon.

Els said...

Yeahhhhh would like to dirty boogie with you Deb !

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i am happy to let your magic eye and hand create...i think
it is so much YOU that comes through.
I love them this way...exactly as in the photographs above...i'd
never be able to let them go

EllenF said...

Love the threads. I somewhat understand the labor involved but I love your results-- if color were sounds, there is a cacophony.