Wednesday, March 31, 2021

mummification, day 2

 



All the tools and materials responded just as I remembered except I couldn't get the lid off the jar of liquid matte medium so I gouged a nice little hole in it, poured what I needed, and plugged it with tape when I was finished. No studio should be without a roll of duct tape.


The heavy matte gel is as thick as library paste. The kind that was so tasty in elementary school. I only needed it for the edges and in places where the cloth was three or four layers deep.  It's easy to thin to whatever consistency is called for.


I stayed away from the bright white stitching. The stitch lines stayed crisp.
The damasks soaked the medium up like kitty litter.








I was even able to convince that uneven edge that closer to a right angle would be more pleasing to the eye.

This piece will be ready for its photoshoot tomorrow.

4 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

It's STUNNING

Deb Lacativa said...

Thanks. I'm debating if/what color to paint the exposed canvas.

Liz A said...

this must be amazing to see "in person" ...

and I don't remember tasting library paste (although I do remember the wonderful minty smell of it) ... but your saying this reminded me of using rubber cement glue (back when it was allowed) ... painting it on your skin, then rolling it off ... or pinching it to make a "scar" ... the scent of it right up there with newly printed dittos ... I wonder how many brain cells got knocked off

Joanne S said...

Quite a few of our childhood adhesives were quite toxic. And into college art classes.
There are things I used then- that I would never use now- or inhale.
I often wonder if the seeds of my reactive asthma were planted back then.....

I mixed actual white lead with colors to make oil paint. I think our house was painted with white lead paint.