Saturday, October 09, 2021

My season






Yes, it's even more vivid in person! I use the bare minimum of chlorine during the season and ran out of pills for the plastic Ducks in September so this is just water and some very healthy algae. 


This will be the first year that there are no trees hanging immediately over the water so the natural chemistry is a first. This is the same liner that we bought in '98 so I must be doing something right. Keeping the pool filled keeps the kevlar-based liner from drying out and keeps the frame from flexing inward. Come Spring we are due for replacing the main hoses. All we have to do now is make sure it doesn't get any significant ice. 


I have to float some wood scraps in case a bumbling critter falls in. I have watched deer browsing inside that chain link fence and have been in the water when one hopped up on the deck for a drink. 








The rabid Purslane continues to rout out any pot mates. There's a rather pitiful nasturtium struggling along on the fringes. I'm wondering if I cover this with dirt or straw will it over winter? I hope so. They are hard to find.






 The grape hyacinth finally gave me some blooms. Turns out I overfed the poor thing. Too much nitrogen? You get leaves galore but no flowers or fruit.  I'm going to add another panel or two to the arbor next year. No fertilizer for you! 

 





We had a lovely mid-week get-together because school was closed for some kind of break. He's a thoughtful child open to the world and other creatures. I've read that seven is the age of reason without really understanding what that referred to. I see it as awakening to the fact that one is not the center of the 'Verse and that all beings are connected. 








5 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

love coming over to your house...walking the yard...the
scent of the pool, pumpkin innards, the boy Charlie.
Thank you
Love

Deb Lacativa said...

As I love following through your gardens and life.

Liz A said...

that green! ... and gloves for pumpkin gutting, why didn't I think of that?

jude said...

time to carve the pumpkin... yes...

Nancy said...

Love seeing your Charlie boy! ...and hearing of your garden and pool plans...beautiful life :)