Tuesday, April 05, 2022

the long, slow rain


After a string of cool breezy brightness, we are having the Georgia Monsoon complete with thunder and lightning. The kind of day that is good for slow, quiet stuff, like napping.

Overnight, there will be a green explosion. I gave in to the temptation of planting early. Tomatoes along the chain link fence will be guarded by sunflowers and anything that I can get to climb, most likely morning glories. 

I liberated a hibiscus from the trash at the big box store. It looked so dead that you couldn't tell what color the blooms were, but the woody stems were still flexible and green. That's joined the perennials up at the mailbox garden. I'm going to put up a three-legged support for climbers as soon as I can find some really tall bamboo. 

For the first time, ever I'll have a full sun garden under the kitchen windows. More sunflowers most likely and blueberry bushes. 

Don't know (or care) what the neighbors think, but we are enjoying the firepit in the front yard, sticks with marshmallows always on hand. I've heard that if someone calls the fire department on you, they are cool if you are having some kind of cookout. I personally think smores are gross, but always volunteer to eat the burned-up marshmallow skins.


A Sunday night routine is settling in. The front yard gets gleaned for deadfall. Jake gets the fire going. Charlie told us the funniest spooky story I've heard in ages. No matter that he cribbed it exactly from a cartoon show. His delivery and timing were masterful. No one had anything to top it. 





5 comments:

deemallon said...

Storytelling must run in the family.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i love this. How i had imagined this for Us, here, until the reality of Fire makes it impossible. We
cannot
do this
so i sit with you there, listening to Charlie. It's good enough.

Deb Lacativa said...

I'm going to ask him to tell it again next fire and I'll record it.

Liz A said...

the fascination of watching fire ... endless

rain, not so much ... although it's always needed here

Nancy said...

Such fun times, building memories together! Love this ❤️