Thursday, September 15, 2022

Wings of Desire

 Acknowledgments first. I could not have managed this day without Colin's help. If I had to go under the house to turn on the water, I'd still be down there sleeping with the spiders and snakes. And the heavy lifting? Toting shit to and fro? He handled all of it, on his day off. I am grateful.

The dirty threads are rolled up in these five little bundles. Poaching in the autumn sunshine. Forty, fifty? 

I swiped the name for this dye set from the film even though I'd never been able to sit through the original. The concept of spirits wanting more from eternity has been on my mind. 

Of course, you know I'm a drop-dead, cry-like-my-heart-is-breaking fan of the American version from '98, City of Angels with Nick Cage, Meg Ryan, Denis Franz, and Andre Braugher.  It's one of those movies I haven't rewatched in ages because it just turns me inside out.

Beyond the emotional workout, I desired different things from the colors this time. I wanted greens that lurked in the weeds. Ocean and sky blues, inky purples, and rotting pumpkins. But you know how it is with wet cloth, so we'll all just have to wait until late tomorrow. 

All of this is vintage damask and most of it will be going into the Hot Scrap Mix.




There are dyes and magic sauce left over. Sunshine blazing through Sunday. I'm going to rummage in the closet to see if there is anything left that could use some color. 

4 comments:

Liz A said...

three cheers for Colin ... and thanks for his continued sky-deck photos, which always amaze me with their own riot of color

Joanne S said...

If I had this cloth and those bundles cooking on my back deck...I wouldn't be able to STAND IT!!!!
I would have to be srait jacketed to keep my hands off them. Geez!!!!!!!!

Hazel said...

So glad you had help! I'm holding my breath to see what becomes of that pretty pinky/orange on the left in the second to last photo. City of Angels...me, too.

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh...this COLOR!!! Can't wait to see 'em unbundled.