Thursday, June 01, 2023

~Sweetie

 She snuck into our lives fourteen years ago.  Sly little minx flying a false flag of Sweetness. It was a ruse!
She put on her lipstick and falsies and charmed her way into our hearts.  After she made us her own, she asserted her true Tribe of Tiger self.  Large and in charge.

Always watchful and ready to take up arms. She never bothered to learn "soft paws" and spent a lot of time sharpening her tools and drew blood casually. She and Voodoo were a fierce team of hunters; the Ghost and the Darkness.

Meow was beneath her dignity. Some cat owners will understand "Blurpt? which could mean, "Where have you been?" "When is dinner?" or just "Hey, Mom." She also had a big block purring engine and loved a good scratch as long as you didn't get too personal.

She was also my closest companion after Jim passed. She heard it all. Sorrows and joys, first drafts and confessions. Little Priestess between me and my coffee cup right up until her last day.

Last week I wrote a post bitching about the cool and damp. The same day I granted her a reprieve. From that day until her last, on the 30th, we had a string of days with the most perfect weather and I spent them outside with her doing our version of metta, open to the universe and the truths. 70 degrees, blue skies with just enough puffy clouds to keep the temperatures windows wide open. No AC. Low humidity and gentle breezes carried the scents of magnolia, gardenia, and jasmine. Moving slowly as comfort required between the warmth of the sun or a patch of shade.

At day's end, I would carry her up to my room to watch fireflies from the high deck and listen to frogs and owls signaling after sunset then sleep beside me. One perfect day after the next. Days so fine and rare in this hot and humid state they should be named like hurricanes. 

From now on, I will call such days Sweeties. 




7 comments:

Hazel said...

Oh, Deb... I'm so sorry. We recently said goodbye, too, it's so hard. Sending love and a big hug to wrap around yourself.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Love, Deb
Love, Sweetie

Els said...

Ohhhh, you always miss them so much ! Take care

Stephanie said...

She is beautiful, as is what you have written about her (both today and years ago). I'm sorry for the ache in your heart. Which never altogether goes away, I know all too well. She was a wonder.

Nancy said...

Deb~ Love to you and yours. May Sweetie's memory be a blessing. You've told her story well, in honoring her. (((hugs)))

Liz A said...

every fine day forever after ... requiesce in pace Sweetie

Joanne S said...

Two Sweeties. I can feel how it is all the way north to Maine...
It's like that...but oh, the memories..they stick with you forever.
Now to wipe the tears off my checks and make breakfast.....