Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Ennui


 

This is the gardenia that was supposed to get pruned hard back in January. That's the way of it here. Priorities.

I went to the store late in the day yesterday. It was HOT out. Ninety and change and the AC was on the fritz or on the cheap in Publix. I have never broken a sweat in that place. The internal weather there usually makes me sleepy.  You check out, load up, start the car and slap yourself. "MILK!" I forgot the friggin'  (what have you).

When I got home it was all I could do to haul the goods inside and myself up to the bedroom. Not tired, just overheated.



I went up to Jake's to be on hand for Charlie's sixth grade graduation. With a Principals List award for four quarters of all A's. My mind boggles.

The whole time they were calling names (three or four hundred?) I kept remembering how school was mostly an annoyance in my life. As if they had anything interesting to teach me. The arrogance!

Charlie has a bit of it. "School is boring." 

I told him he needed to tell someone who could do something about that for him. Ask a teacher for some names. An option that wasn't there for me back in the day. 

We will be spending time together this summer. Milo is growing into a total charmer. Nibbler has forgiven his existence. 



I had everything ready for a dyefest today, but the malaise lingered on a day due to be hotter than yesterday. Having tools and materials prepped is nice. But one bucket of stamina is not enough. 

When the spirit moves me and the sun is up...


4 comments:

Joanne S said...

When my son got "bored" in school they bumped him up a year...until he graduated high school a few weeks before his 16th birthday. Cornell also bumped him a year when he entered. Was always a positive thing.

Liz A said...

Your title reminded me of Michael Nesmith's song The Grand Ennui (which I've likely mentioned before) ... yes, the Monkees guy, but he was a legit songwriter, too

Deb Lacativa said...

I watched (mostly appalled) with my friends but always noticed his eye roll, like he couldn't believe he was doing that crap...

Deb Lacativa said...

thank goodness that wouldn't be up to me