Sunday, July 19, 2026

Overnight sensations


 After a week of this, getting the pool back to blue took some doing, but it was worth it. It's bad that I can count the number of pool days I've had at home this summer.

But this one was glorious and today should deliver more of the same until late in the day, when the storm risks return.

I took a printout of the last few scenes with me to read and catch the flavor of the story. It's been a while since I've had a productive writing session. 

While I drifted in an out of the sun--bless that blue shade sail--a scene that has been stonewalling me took a hard left and showed me a new path to try.



After showering off the pool (this time, I could sense the chlorine) I put on the latest Used to be a Tablecloth Schmatta. This one was the linen Cuddledown sheet table mopper and has some intense areas of color. It was hard to decide which side of the cloth to use.

My workmanship with the sewing machine is a little rough. I settled for utility over appearance because it's a house dress. Unlike too many people, I don't go to the store in my pajamas or dressing gown. 

The pearl buttons keep the neckline in order, but the appliqued heart was purely fun.


I cooked good food, enjoyed some herb and slept as if I had spent a day at the beach. But before I fell asleep, my characters began chewing that scene over. Rather than promise myself I'd remember it all in the morning (as if!) I lit up my phone and dictated some notes.


    The girl was the kind of nervous that made bystanders edge away as if they could feel her heart hammering under her skin. Sick thin, she looked partied out except for her hands. 
    The nails were inch-long ovals, chalk white with the moons expertly arched in metalliic black. At at glance, her finger bones seemed to be escaping her flesh early.
***






This is a morning ritual. He stalks in to the studio after breakfast and commandeers my lap, no matter what is already there. I see him coming and clear the way. 

He pushed his face into my hand licking and nipping as it was a filthy kitten. Then closes his eyes and contemplates his day. After a minute, maybe two, he leaps up and leaves the room. 
"That's enough blessing for one day, woman. Back to your business."

We are owned. 



1 comment:

Nancy said...

Deb~ You are a walking, writing dye fest! Such an intense expression on kitty's face!