Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Some Kinda Wonderful

I went to the post office yesterday and was astonished to find the entire population of Wingdale, Milledgeville and another other nuthouse you care to name seething around in the lobby as if they'd been notified that gold bars were being distributed over the counter for free. Most of them were unhappy about the scam. Before gunplay ensued, I booked, putting the business off until today.

This morning I walked into the Lilburn office and there was one lonely staff person - the greeter guy who works the lobby making sure you know what you are doing before you hit the counter. I thanked him for my very own personal post office and two ladies came to the counter at my announcement.

"She's got another bundle of rags." One of them said. They always want to look so I never seal up the packages until they are done. Transaction and conversations underway simultaneously and, from the recesses of my bag, my phone goes off, LOUD (otherwise I can't hear it.)

 My ringtone for everyone is "Some Kind of Wonderful" by Grand Funk Railroad. I don't answer because I'm face to face with other humans and I like the music so I let it play and they all like it too. Spontaneous hoe down ensues, everyone bopping and stepping for thirty seconds. I'll get back to whoever.

Business concluded, I stepped outside to call back the mystery number. It was the neurologists office. The news was all good. Aliens in my brain had decamped, packing out their trash and leaving no traces. It must have been too hot and chaotic in there for them. Absent any new or recurring symptoms, I am no longer a candidate for skull drilling, experimental brain rays or a pine box.

I went back inside, about a dozen folk all milling about now,  doing the post office boogie on simmer. I raised my arm to get everyone's attention.

      "Ladies and Gentlemen! That phone call that we all danced to a minute ago?  That was my doctor. I do NOT have a brain tumor, brain cooties, cancer or aliens." It's been a long time since I was on any kind of stage. Applause is some kinda wonderful.


10 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

I feel very happy for you. I love the fact you announced it to all in the post office, it will have given them all and happy feeling. Good on you from a coolish Northern Ireland.

Diana Angus said...

Hooray! Glad you could share the news with your peeps.

Liz A said...

Grinning ear to ear ... what a great post!!!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

singing in my head with you!

Nancy said...

What a wonderful way to get wonderful news!!! I am so thrilled for you (and you family too).

u-woman said...

I'm letting out a big old WHEW! here. And grin from ear to ear. :D

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'll bet you and they are still dancin'! Talk about a new lease on life... yee-hah!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

OH YES!!! i KNEW it had to be this way, oh, just YES and HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Fincke McBride said...

TA DAH! Take a bow and head on down to the ice cream shop!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! Love that you were able to celebrate with a party of dancing, music and applause!