Monday, February 14, 2022

~pause for breathing~



Nope and nope. Cloth, thread, and needles go back into the closet until I'm not faking it. Been down this road (and ruined too many decent starts) to ignore the signs. 

I compulsively over-stitched a passage yesterday morning because "the light was so good" or "I was avoiding responsibilities" or any of a long list of doing something for the wrong reason.

And so I spent a teeth-grinding hour picking out stitches that were put in to STAY, as if this would become a wash-twice-a-week baby blanket. 

If there had been a shredder in the room, it would have been well fed. 
The design was just okay. Rushed the basting just as I predicted I would. There is not enough heart or energy here to keep me in the proper follow-through mode with stitch elements as carefully considered as the shapes and colors of the cloth. I went in Helter Skelter and after this first pass on the light blue, I was lost and floundering. 

 I don't see or find "things" in my work and I'm always surprised when others do. My eyes look for balance, negative spaces, color edge energy, lines, and movement. Just an old-school abstract expressionist still wishing for 10x20 foot canvases. 

It's been like this for a long time. 

Next time I pick up the cloth I will machine piece a few blankets. Be useful like cloth.




For now, I have other things on my mind.


2 comments:

jude said...

I don't much find things either, I put them there.
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy

Deb Lacativa said...

Right? But this bouncing between 30 and 70 is nerve-wracking.