Sunday, March 20, 2022

pro~visioning

 

..


THAT was fun. I've missed the hunt.

I went to my favorite thrift joint yesterday for the first time in two years. I did forget what the discount days were, but no matter.

100% silk anything was the quarry but not a whisper of silk anywhere, but I did score seven gorgeous pieces made of summer breezy cotton lawn- the kind of dresses and blouses that come with a second and third layer because, well, decency. 

This flouncy, three-tiered dress yielded an acre of some wonderful gauze or harem cloth. 

There were two tuxedo shirts from Saks 5th Ave that never went to a wedding. A super-fine, supple weave
that I've never seen in a dress shirt.  Everything scoured up nicely and I spent a pleasant evening deconstructing (more like dismembering) the booty. I can't wait to get this stuff into the dye pots. Still on the lookout for silks.


4 comments:

Nancy said...

Can't wait to see it!

Liz A said...

one of these days I will deconstruct all the shirts and blouses that I have scavenged over the years ... come to think of it, wouldn't be a bad way to spend time when I'm in creative doldrums

Deb Lacativa said...

There were so many french seams in this lot. Rather than lose my vision and used a seam ripper, I did the quick and dirty and simply cut along the seams, looking to make 2D out of 3D. I know that once those French seams and pleats are dyed, wonderful things emerge when you pick out all the stitching.

Cozy Knitting said...

One of my first quilts I ever made was from garage sales flannel shirts. The bigger the better. I set a limit of paying no more than $1, but a lot were only 25 or 50 cents. Every time I took out the quilt, my cat claimed it. It is soft and comfy and warm. I left the pockets on many pieces. I have found some of my best fabrics thrifting like this.