Sunday, July 21, 2024

Be of use

 


It was overdue and I was determined to find my black scissors. So far, they are still lurking somewhere else in the studio. But much of this cloth has gone into the scrap basket. 

I also uncovered a tablecloth I set aside from the Things To Be Dyed because of its perfection. Linen, maybe five by six feet. Hemmed to perfection on all four sides. Flawless. 
 
Without a pattern or template, I held it to myself, measuring neck to cuff just imagining the easiest path to what I had in mind - something to slip on after a shower or the pool. Construction was purely functional. 

What I was really looking forward to was doing some embroidery or applique on it. A blank canvas for unknown hours of mindless stitching. Foiled again.

The cloth said "No!". Linen, only a shadow thicker than cotton lawn, but the thread count is so tight and dense two layers laughed at my attempt to draw a needle through it. I think it's called Handkerchief weight. After I hand-hemmed it with silk, I decided that floor length is a foot too much. After I chop and rehem it, I'll use the excess for some pockets and an eyeglass loop. 

I also took one of those heavy cotton top sheets and started cutting it for a simple kimono. Both garments will be attending the next dyefest. All this white reminds me of a Korean funeral. Also reminds me that I'm a slob. If I'm wearing white, it's a given the menu will include ketchup, spaghetti or bbq sauce. 

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love those baskets :)
I laughed at the slob comment. That happens around here too, with J. Dye to save the day, eh?