Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fling Flung Blankies

I've had some time to think about why these light weight, personal sized utility blankets are all I care to accomplish these days. It's only too obvious to anyone who has ever cared for someone at home who is recovering from a serious illness or injury. It's not that there is no time - between all the little things that are needed by the patient there is too much time. Time waiting. Time planning. Time worrying. So here's to the small joy of inexpensive fabrics, soft and gentle to the touch, white & cream, as clean and inviting as any blank canvas, completely ready to shape to my will without struggle or argument. Hand ripped and unmeasured strips almost ordering themselves without so much as a pin and lying flat, sweet and compliant under the machine's needle never giving a moments birdnest or bunch so much so that I will stitch a foot of inches before I notice the bobbin is empty. Here's to a simple set of bright colors and simple shapes laid into each block with a few hours of hand applique.Then, once the blocks are joined and the top and back fall into place, a few more days of waiting time hand quilting just enough graceful curves and leaves as they occur to me. The twelve weight cotton thread flows through the two light layers of muslin as easily as thoughts flow through the mind and time slips from summer to fall and when it's finished I'm holding pure comfort. Just enough cloth and weight to keep off the chill of a waiting room, a treatment room or a rainy afternoon, it was every moment a pleasure to make and I know will someday bring comfort and utility to someone else for years to come. This one was my fourth and last night I started a fifth. I call the points monkeyteeth. Now I have to consider writing lesson plans for something like this including everything from dyeing the fabric to hand applique. Too much for beginners? The month is young and I made two major deadlines. Time to start something new.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Barton said...

Deb - did you see Rise Nagin's piece in the show Material Matters that was at the Columbus art museum this summer? She has transparent shapes floating on a back ground...I think there are some real possibilities for Great Things with your fling flungs - just flang your flug and you'll be there!!!! Elizabeth

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

beautiful....

Melly Testa said...

The monkey teeth are fantastic.

margaret said...

Each of these flings is more delicious than the previous one! I've been hoarding my damask but the time has come....

Anonymous said...

How lovely. Your writing is wonderful, too. I must go see the rest of this group!