Wednesday, September 17, 2008

scribbler's wednesday

Since my camera is on some kind of Mercury retrograde vacation, I've fallen back on the scanner. The last free pages in the sketchbook are looming but it's taken me since 3/04 to come that far. I'm just not a sketcher. Flipping through the pages, most of them have unintelligible scribblings from meetings, lists of supplies for projects unknown, anything but drawings. Thanks to Susie Monday for posting this quote from Annie Dillard. But here's a doodle that recurs and for once has made it off the page into reality. I wanted these leaves to stay soft, the better to be woven into my own version of Judy Martin's protection blankets, but the batting scraps I used must have had some kind of adhesive on them that activated and hardened when I ironed them. Now they are crisp, stiff ...almost mailable. Watch your mailboxes.

4 comments:

susan said...

they look nice. the leaves are turning so fast here. before ya know it the snow is gonna be falling...i missed the snow

arlee said...

Nice sketchbook page--i like it. They don't all have to be intricate or detailed. :}

Anonymous said...

Love the leaves. And the sketch. I highly recommend the entire book, but that quote stuck with me over the years and I had to seek it out yesterday.

Nellie's Needles said...

These look like good candidates for this international project:

The next project at hand for the 2008-2009 year for the International Fiber Collective. The title of this sculpture is called Interdependence. We will create a full sized tree that will be on display in April 09' at Big Springs International Park in Huntsville, AL.
Much like a live tree is interdependent on it's leaves/roots for survival, like minded societies are interdependent on the greater whole, family units, communities, countries.

The collective is calling for participants around the world to create leaves to contribute to the creation of the tree. In total I am looking for 30,000 leaves.