Tuesday, July 12, 2022

sidelined




Somehow, I imagine this is what my spine looks like these days. X-rays and MRIs are so boring. There are a dozen words ending in itus or osis that all relate to the decrepitude of my frame in the doctor's report. 

I used to stand a pretty tall 5'8". Three of those inches are gone, discs and bones all succumbing to disease, age, and gravity. The nerves left behind in disarray are another story. Alive and sparking.

 I don't want to write about pain - too many people suffer horribly and chronically. I'm a hobbyist by comparison, but when the demon bites me, it brings me to my knees. And then I can't get up right away.

I also smile to think what a good drug addict I could be. I warned my doctor that I survived the sixties, so she's already on notice. But I have too much to do to be at the mercy of pain or being out of my gourd.




The garden needs me. My people need me. 




 

6 comments:

Liz A said...

I have felt your pain ... how insistent it can be, overriding every other priority ... may you find relief

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

whaa....

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I recently had surgery so I understand the need for pain relief but having to be careful with it. I hope you find pain relief soon.

DILOU said...

Je pense bien à vous, je vais devoir faire mettre une énorme prothèse à un genou, je souffre au quotidien. Bon courage à vous.

Nancy said...

Aw, man. I know some of this pain & shrinking. My mom had it too and every back 'thing' one could have. And now J. too. Aging hurts and I am so sorry for your pain, but chuckling at your humor. I've been know to say that I need a drink (and I don't drink)...so, I agree finding that relief could do some real damage. I'm glad you got people. It's good to be needed.

Deb Lacativa said...

Thanks to all for the compassion and commiseration. Yes, getting old is not for the faint-hearted. I am always mindful that I'm blessed to have good medical insurance through my former employer, fondly known to many as the Deathstar (AT&T). New, carefully chosen, drugs on board and I am a busy bee.